Skip to main content

AHHH. Donuts. . . What can't they do?

So, things are going good. The Wendie Plan has yet to convince me that it will work for me. I found it difficult to eat the super high points on Saturday (30) and then very hard to eat the super low points yesterday (14).

Maybe it is all in my subconscious. I have eaten as few as 14 points before without really aiming for it, and I wasn't starving. I never heard my tummy rumble. It is just that I wanted an extra treat after dinner and I couldn't.

Deprivation. There is something radical about how it shapes our minds.

In looking at the entry from Put Down The Donut about the Wendie Plan I am now confused as to what my Wendie points plan should be. They have the 20-point range eating more than 140 points for the week and I thought I needed to stay within 140 points. If anyone in Australia is following the Wendie Plan, would you help me!

Oh and I almost forgot to mention the new rule of my diet. I cannot weigh myself on a Monday if I used the super high point day on the weekend. This is just discouraging.

My exercise plan is going well. On Saturday we walked to the movies and back (45 minutes each way), and then Monday I woke up at 5:30 and did my jog/walk routine. I added an extra lap to make it 5 this week. Then yesterday afternoon when I got home from work I did 30 minutes of strength exercises which I will complete every other day.

This morning I've already finished my 5 laps. I notice that when I am jogging I feel like the back of my throat is going to dry up completely. I need to carry a water bottle with me, or at least have a glass of water before going.

I haven't finished the book I bought last week yet, When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies: Freeing Yourself From Food and Weight Obsession by Jane R. Hirschman and Carol H. Munter.

What I am about to say is no rave review of what I have read either because the more I read, the angrier I get.

What bothers me most about this book is how the authors promote that being overweight is okay, regardless of health considerations. Also their biggest declaration is that every "bad body thought", ie: calling yourself fat, huge, ugly etc. is not related to our bodies at all, but is the result of something else we aren't feeling or thinking.

That one is very hard to swallow. I know that sometimes I berate myself for feeling fat when I am just having a bad day, but I don't think that every time I think I hate my thighs it is misdirected anger.

I actually had an argument with mr. ralph on Saturday when we were walking home because I was telling him about the book and I was defending what I wanted the book to be about.

When I bought the book I thought it would give practical advice to women who suffer from compulsive eating disorders (well, that is what the title implied), but all it really turns out to be is a shameless way of promoting Body/Size Acceptance with their "No more diets!" "No more self-contempt!" "No more efforts to make myself over in his (or anyone else's) image!" logic.

Over and over again it says we should ask ourselves the question, "who says being fat is wrong?" My two cents: We don't have to think that we are wrong, to recognize we are unhealthy.

In one section they say, "All of the diets and exercise programs that evolve from self-hatred are doomed to failure."

What about diets and exercise programs borne out of an actual desire to be healthier, and loving yourself by eating healthy, and exercising to become strong?

Now, I don't have a problem with women being a normal size (12-14) that is, if they are healthy. I don't advocate women desperately dieting to obtain some ideal bodyweight that they will possibly never achieve, but I do not see the rationale in telling a woman who may be obese and jeopardizing her health that she should forget about dieting and accept her size.

Of course the authors say that in doing this you may (emphasis on may) magically learn to eat the right amount and therefore eventually lose weight.

I have to say that the more I read this book, the more vehemently I disagree with these author's logic.

I still need to finish it because I am hoping that something, anything will begin to make since to me.


Comments

Anonymous said…
The points program in the US is scaled different to the AUS points. If you're on 20 points per day, times this by 7 to get your weekly points allowance of 140. I worked my daily allowances out something like this...
low - 16
high - 23
low - 16
VHigh - 26
Vlow - 14
High - 23
MedHigh - 22
I hope this helps. I did fiddle around with my points, so i'm not sure whether it coincides exactly with the Wendie plan. If you want extra 'very high/low days, just put more/less points onto your other days - as long as the weekly total still adds up to 140. Good luck
i agree that obese women shouldn't be told to accept their size. if they DO accept it and don't care about the health concerns, so be it. not my way of thinking but fine. but to tell them they have no choice is absurd.

i also hate when i hear women say that they could never be this and never be that. deciding without even trying that they will never have success of one kind or another. if you decide it, it will be so. if you decide you can never, you never will.

Popular posts from this blog

Starting over

Hmm. Starting over is never easy. I'm on a new journey this time. I want to do this for different reasons. I want to do it for me. This week has been an okay one food wise, but I haven't been walking. I have had to suffer rain, but we needed it so it is hard to be mad about it. I know I may have lost a tiny bit of weight, but probably not much. Will weigh myself tomorrow. I had a few too many drinks still. BUT I swear I am trying! It is hard right now. I want to go to the doctor and request some weight-loss drugs. I don't think my doctor will give me them, and I know it is a weak way out, but I want the help. So don't judge me! Thanks so much for the support lately. Even the few of you who still check to see if I am around, your words mean a lot to me.

Do you want what you can't have?

On the way home from work I saw a girl with the figure I want, but will never have. She was young; I think probably around 16 or 17. She was tall with lean legs and she was wearing a pair of trendy short shorts with a t-shirt. She also had amazingly perfect large breasts. I admittedly stared for a moment at her because she didn't have one single blemish. She is so beautiful. I couldn't stop myself from thinking about how I will never be that thin, I will probably never wear short shorts, and I definitely will never have those boobs. I wish I didn't look longingly at the things other people have and envy them, but I do. But I don't think I am the only one.

Tweaking

So I've done some tweaking to the code. I now think it looks better in Firefox than IE because IE is not recognising the best font. It is too late right now for me to concern myself with this. At least most of us can actually read it. Also I have to create a new weight chart that is compatible with this design. Thanks a lot for the input. Firefox users, is it better now?