Skip to main content

Bad medicine is what I need

I really freaked right out yesterday. I decided to do my Thursday morning at home weigh-in because I like to know how things are going 2 days before the official one and low and behold the scale said an enormous 68.8. Yes, you are not seeing things and neither was I.

I got on and off of it a few times and it never changed. It actually once went on up to 69 kilos.

But how could that be I wondered? I have been so good!

Then it dawned on me. This crap medicine I'm on had to be the culprit. So I went online and looked up Voltaren and guess what one of the side effects of taking this shit is? Unusual weight gain due to water retention. I already have enough problems with that on my own without this medicine.

I kept telling myself all day that it is not a true reflection of my weight but it still kept nagging at me. I drank around 9 water bottles yesterday (around 4 and a half litres) and was in the bathroom so much people at work probably thought I was ill. I also only took my morning dosage of the medicine.

It seems to be okay at the moment, no real pain in my arm or right shoulder. The left one is acting up, but I think right now I am still trying to adjust to my new chair. I'm not sure that it is the right kind of chair for me, but I plan to discuss that with the work physio when she comes on Monday.

I guess the point I think I am trying to make is this: I am still very much ruled by the scale. I know that my clothes look great and feel great, but when it goes up in the slightest I really get down on myself.

I am so worried that I will slip up and somehow gain all this weight back. Mentally I tell myself that I will have work hard at staying this way or otherwise I will balloon up and none of my clothes will fit.

I'm really looking forward to next weekend. I plan to take some beads with me on our anniversary trip to the Mclaren Vale so that I can have some downtime and make jewelry. I plan to sleep more, eat good food, and drink wine. And I also hope to not worry if I gain a little next week because I need a break.

I love you guys, thanks for all the nice things you said in my last comment section. You rock.

Comments

Argy said…
Don't worry. Voltaren really does this!And it goes away right when you stop taking the bastards!And you know what, I love you too!!!
Shannin said…
I am totally with you as far as my mood being ruled by the scale. I hate that. I know if I am going to have a hard/long day at work, I won't weigh myself in the morning because I know if I am up a pound (or two!) I will beat myself up all day long. As they say, ignorance is bliss! That's why I really try to weigh myself only once a month.
Anonymous said…
Water you retain can be extremely heavy, because it is actually temporary storage for sugars that your body is trying to metabolize. Certain medicine can make you metabolize differently, which causes "water retention" (in other words, an abundance of temporary sugar storage rather than burning off energy immediately).

Now, if I can offer some unasked-for advice (grin), I know what you mean about fearing a situation in which you gain all the weight back. I have gone through that, but for me the key was that I had suffered a couple of personal setbacks and I just didn't care anymore. As long as you care, it's unlikely that you'll slide backwards significantly enough to wake up one day and realize you've gained it all back.

But, I think you can care and not be slave to the scale. It's just a matter of consciously thinking of ways that you can monitor yourself without relying on the scale. Whether you use the "jeans fitting to tight" method or switch to going entirely off of measurements that you take on a monthly basis, or something else entirely, is what you have to figure out for yourself.

The only thing that I have noticed is nearly universal is that the scale is not a good way to monitor yourself when you are in a maintenance situation, or when you are getting close to your goal weight. There are so many reasons why you can weigh five pounds more, but your pants still fit, and vise versa.

Maybe a paradigm shift is in order?

Popular posts from this blog

Starting over

Hmm. Starting over is never easy. I'm on a new journey this time. I want to do this for different reasons. I want to do it for me. This week has been an okay one food wise, but I haven't been walking. I have had to suffer rain, but we needed it so it is hard to be mad about it. I know I may have lost a tiny bit of weight, but probably not much. Will weigh myself tomorrow. I had a few too many drinks still. BUT I swear I am trying! It is hard right now. I want to go to the doctor and request some weight-loss drugs. I don't think my doctor will give me them, and I know it is a weak way out, but I want the help. So don't judge me! Thanks so much for the support lately. Even the few of you who still check to see if I am around, your words mean a lot to me.

Do you want what you can't have?

On the way home from work I saw a girl with the figure I want, but will never have. She was young; I think probably around 16 or 17. She was tall with lean legs and she was wearing a pair of trendy short shorts with a t-shirt. She also had amazingly perfect large breasts. I admittedly stared for a moment at her because she didn't have one single blemish. She is so beautiful. I couldn't stop myself from thinking about how I will never be that thin, I will probably never wear short shorts, and I definitely will never have those boobs. I wish I didn't look longingly at the things other people have and envy them, but I do. But I don't think I am the only one.

Tweaking

So I've done some tweaking to the code. I now think it looks better in Firefox than IE because IE is not recognising the best font. It is too late right now for me to concern myself with this. At least most of us can actually read it. Also I have to create a new weight chart that is compatible with this design. Thanks a lot for the input. Firefox users, is it better now?