Skip to main content

Back to Basics

Why haven't I posted all week? Well I've been pretty much the same. Nothing has changed in the last week. I still eat half healthy food, half crap food. I still probably weigh around 68 kilos (I haven't weighed because I was on my period this week). I still haven't been back to any Weight Watchers meetings.

I'm actually starting to feel fat in some of my clothes, because some of them were bought when I was down to 65 kilos. And yesterday I tried on a pair of jeans that were too tight when I was out shopping and thought a lot about this last 5 kilos.

Also, I ate KFC for dinner last night, so obviously I didn't think hard enough. Then I watched the Oprah special with Kirstie Alley...

On Oprah after Kirstie Alley did her promo for Jenny Craig(tm), Oprah had a woman on who had gastric bypass and lost over 300 pounds. They showed these images of all of her hanging skin that had to be removed. She had already been through 5 surgical procedures and had something like 5 more to go.

What struck me as the most unusual is how accepting the world is now of gastric bypass as a means of weight loss. It amazes me how the number of people who are that obese is growing and growing. At my work alone I think there are at least 3-5 women who fall into this category. It is becoming so common place.

I'm not judging. Trust me I've had so many weight and food related issues I'm amazed that I didn't weight over 300 pounds before I finally got a hold of myself, but it scares me that people like Oprah are advocating and so accepting of this.

To me it sends a message. It says to people who are overweight that it doesn't matter how big they get because it is fixable with surgery. Does anyone else see a problem with this?

It just doesn't seem right.

For many people obesity problems begin in childhood, myself included. I was telling mr. ralph about all the sugary cereals I grew up eating and begging my mom to buy. She wanted us to eat Corn Flakes and raisin Bran (that is like your sultana bran) but we would beg for Captain Crunch and Coco Puffs etc. Sugar with milk. Really healthy stuff. Oh, and pop tarts, hot dogs, french fries, etc. I ate this stuff at school. We were fed junk food in the school cafeteria.

The number of things that need to be changed in order for Americans to become healthier are endless. It is a little depressing to get on this subject and now I'm regretting it. I think I need to wrap this up.

Needless to say I need to make some changes in my life right now.

I've decided to take a leaf from Denise's book. I'm giving myself 2 weeks to get back to basics. My plan is simple, I will keep a food journal. I will not eat fast food or junk food. I will follow the WW point system, and I will exercise at least 3 times a week.

I will report as often as possible on how I'm doing. Wish me luck.

Christmas is just around the corner.

Addendum:

And speaking of Christmas, I bought this dress a few months ago:
Christmas Dress


It was a great find and of course it is vintage. When I bought it, it was snug. The inner part of the dress is so tight now that my waist bulges under it. I put it on yesterday, because I wanted to see just how tight it is now. It was depressing. The only chance I have to wear something like this is to Christmas functions which all begin in just over a month from now.

I'd say I need to lose at least 3 kilos for the dress to look nice, and maybe 4 for it to be comfortable.

And now I have a reason.

Comments

Wenchy said…
Wishing u lotsa luck
Basics is good. As you probably know, when I started my challenge I cut out everything processed and went back to total basics.

I did the Internal Cleansing diet (naturopath stores have it) for 15 days and lost 9 kilos of rubbish from my internal organs. I can't tell you how extraordinary it felt to rid my body of sluggish foods.

It allowed me wholegrain breads, ALL fresh fruits, ALL fresh veg, pastas and rice (brown not white) and completely cut out dairy and meat for 15 days. Which isn't as hard as it sounds.

I can't wait to do this again but have to wait til I've finished breastfeeding. Doh!

When you spoke of your friend who has tried diet after diet.... it REALLY emphasises the fact that she either isn't ready to make these changes or hasn't dealt with a few internal issues that bring her back to square one (working on a few of those myself!)

Good luck, take each day at a time and revel in feeling fresh and cleansed while you get back to basics!
P.S. Foot note to the Internal Cleansing Diet, I also was allowed a big bowl of natural muesli each morning and soy milk was fine! (In fact i haven't gone back to normal milk since I did that cleansing diet!
Anonymous said…
You are so right in your comments re gastic bypass.. It seems that fat people see this as their only hope and yet there are many people who have lost large amounts of weight by changing their lifesyle.
Love the dress, it's very you. Chic!

What a goal~!
Anonymous said…
i love the dress - it is absolutely beautiful! Someone I know just died from gastric bypass surgery! too scary for words and way unacceptable! My canteen at school makes me feel sick it is so unhealthy and I teach sooooo many heavy kids who are so full of excuses when it comes to exercise! I hope that, as a teacher, I am a positive fat role model!
Shannin said…
As someone who just had gastric bypass surgery 2 weeks ago, I disagree with your assessment. Finally, after years of trying different diets, miracle cures, etc. I was able to do something that is going to change my life forever. I didn't think surgery as my first choice. In fact, it's a last resort for many. Most hospitals in the US won't even do the surgery without a proven 6+ months of trying to lose weight using other alternatives.

I changed the entire make up of my body to be healthy, and, yes, look good. But to avoid getting diabetes, sleep apnea, continued joint pain and heart problems, etc. I made the best choice for me. Please don't ever think I took the easy way out.

Popular posts from this blog

Starting over

Hmm. Starting over is never easy. I'm on a new journey this time. I want to do this for different reasons. I want to do it for me. This week has been an okay one food wise, but I haven't been walking. I have had to suffer rain, but we needed it so it is hard to be mad about it. I know I may have lost a tiny bit of weight, but probably not much. Will weigh myself tomorrow. I had a few too many drinks still. BUT I swear I am trying! It is hard right now. I want to go to the doctor and request some weight-loss drugs. I don't think my doctor will give me them, and I know it is a weak way out, but I want the help. So don't judge me! Thanks so much for the support lately. Even the few of you who still check to see if I am around, your words mean a lot to me.

Do you want what you can't have?

On the way home from work I saw a girl with the figure I want, but will never have. She was young; I think probably around 16 or 17. She was tall with lean legs and she was wearing a pair of trendy short shorts with a t-shirt. She also had amazingly perfect large breasts. I admittedly stared for a moment at her because she didn't have one single blemish. She is so beautiful. I couldn't stop myself from thinking about how I will never be that thin, I will probably never wear short shorts, and I definitely will never have those boobs. I wish I didn't look longingly at the things other people have and envy them, but I do. But I don't think I am the only one.

Tweaking

So I've done some tweaking to the code. I now think it looks better in Firefox than IE because IE is not recognising the best font. It is too late right now for me to concern myself with this. At least most of us can actually read it. Also I have to create a new weight chart that is compatible with this design. Thanks a lot for the input. Firefox users, is it better now?