Skip to main content

From left field

Yesterday the woman that I ride to work with really threw me for a loop. I don't talk about her that much because we have zip in common. A lot of times she frustrates me because she is the kind of person that only talks and never listens. I've learned to just ask her 1 question about her and she will talk the entire way to and from work and I don't have to worry about making conversation.

But yesterday... You see I had this gut feeling she was mad with me but she had not told me about it. Instead she has been quiet in the car, even when I ask her the questions. So I sent her an email at work early on (say 7:40ish) and she never responded to it.

This was not a good sign, but I tried not to let it bother me. I was so tired yesterday that I felt ill.

So when we got in the car to go home she flew into me. She told me she was angry at me because I didn't apologize to her for a day last week that I overslept. I was taken aback because not only did I apologize, but I thought I had done so more than once. I spoke to her on my way to log in (as I was late to work) and then emailed her to say how sorry I was and thankful that she had rung because I was sound asleep. These pain meds have been hard to control and that particular morning mr. ralph had set his ipod (for the first time) as my alarm clock and the sound was on 0.

Talk about craziness. When I asked about the email she just flicked me off saying it was not an apology in her eyes and that she feels I just expect her to come and get me. Then she said that if I am not waiting for her by the curb when she drives past from now on she is going to leave me behind (as if I am a chronic last person).

Now I admittedly have been the occasional few minutes (1%) late walking out to the car, but 80% of the time I am waiting for her; and the other 19% we show up at the curb at exactly the same time.

I was so tired and in such shock that I just began to cry. I already know that she is a very bullheaded and thick person from previous experience so in her mind she had spent an entire weekend convincing herself that I am an ungrateful chronic late person that takes advantage of her.

It is so far from the truth though. I always thank her, I never say anything when she is 5-10 minutes late while I am waiting on the corner in the cold, or rain for her. I always pay her even though she doesn't ask. I give her presents on her birthday and at Christmas (she has given me one gift ever).

I cried in silence for a long time because she actually called me her daughter's name by accident and then corrected herself and said she didn't want "drama" She said, "you wanted to know what was wrong so I told you. It is over now. If you want me to pick you up just be on time, otherwise I won't. I already have a 19 year old that acts just the same as you."

Unbelievable. This woman was scolding me as if I was a child throwing a tantrum when I was undeniably hurting.

Closer to my house I told her it hurt me very deeply that she thinks I am ungrateful for what she does for me and how sorry I am, and what did she say? "I already said I don't want drama if you aren't on time I won't stop. That's it. I have nothing else to say."

So just like that she refused to accept that I was sorry.

I couldn't stop crying. I cried for 4 hours and did not eat my dinner. I went to bed at 9:30 with a screaming headache and now I have too huge puffy eyes.

I didn't know what to do. Instincts tell me to tell her to fuck off. I can ride the bus, yes it is an inconvenience, but I could do it. I did it before I met her. I could post an email on the server at work message boards looking for someone else in my area who would be happy to take my $ for gas.

And although I still may do all of that I did what most will think is stupid. I bought her a plant and a card. I wrote everything that was the opposite of what I think and feel because I know this is what she wants to hear. She wants me to grovel, to take my penance for being so "ungrateful". I will give this to her tomorrow and then I will ride with her in silence until I find someone else to take me to work.

If it is unbearable after the groveling I will politely tell her I don't need a ride anymore.

I hate groveling to someone who is so thick and stupid and who treated me like a dog when I was crying, but I did this because I am the better person. When she reads my card maybe, just maybe she will feel guilt for the way she treated me.

But there is something I believe in more than anything else and that is Karma. It will come back to her. She will see how wrong she is, or she wont. But one day she will feel what I felt last night.

So because I couldn't sleep I am up early. I will be waiting outside 10 minutes early for her, lest she come early and use an excuse to leave me and make me late for work.

Maybe tomorrow afternoon I will have had an apology, but I doubt it. It takes a very stupid person to not see someone else in pain and not feel for them. She caused me so much agony with how she treated me and yet did not flinch. I find that my tenderhearted nature is sometimes a curse or a blessing. Yesterday it was a curse.

Comments

Shannin said…
I have to agree with Kate - she is the one who is causing the drama. I hope she appreciates the card and plant, and sees what a jerk she was. Hope you're able to come up with an alternate plan.

((((HUGS))))
Lee-Anne said…
You're definitely a better person than she is. I don't think you're the problem - only convenient for her to vent the way she's feeling cause things aren't hunky dory for her. Fancy stewing on something like that for a bloody week. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. Hope it comes back to bite her in the arse, hard.
Kathryn said…
To me, it sounds like this woman is using you as a verbal punching bag for problems she's having elsewhere in her life - her issues aren't with you but it is easier for her to take things out on you than to approach the people she really is angry with (esp since she called you by her daughter's name - what's with that).

I hope you find someone nice to get a lift with - nobody needs to have to deal with that kind of stuff.
Rebeka, You've read Doctor Phil right?

As furious as I was reading this post, I need to refer to something he says daily in his shows and reinforces in his book.

"We teach people how to treat us".

If you are naturally submissive, unfortunately revolting bully people like this woman will take utter advantage of you.

Why would you want her to feel guilt for the way she treated you. Stand up, tell her it was completely uncalled for. You apologised to her already. Thank her for what she has done already then be proactive and find another ride.

It drives me nuts that people can take our power from us. Unfortunately, it is only us that allows them to do that.

I have no doubt you will draw strength and go about your business and forget this disgusting excuse for a 'woman'.
Shirley said…
It sounds like that woman has stuff going on in her life that has nothing to do with you, but finds it more convenient to blast you than to deal with her own problems. Is there any way to get another ride?
Anonymous said…
I agree with these guys up here. Take the bus until you can get another lift, and keep the plant as a gift for yourself. Life is too short to spend time with someone who degrades you. You deserve more. Lisa
Anonymous said…
Obviously this woman has issues far beyond you being a few minutes late...

You should let the air out of her tires!
Anonymous said…
What a witch! And she's a drama queen. I believe in karma too. What goes around comes around...

Keep your chin up and remember, you're the better person.
Anonymous said…
don't you dare give her a card and a plant! why reward her for such horrible behaviour towards you? why make her think you agree with her bullshit?

oh mate, that is just so so so wrong, it really does sound like she is taking some other crap in her life out on you. you should not have to grovel. don't let her trample on your dignity! you deserve so much better than that :)

Popular posts from this blog

Starting over

Hmm. Starting over is never easy. I'm on a new journey this time. I want to do this for different reasons. I want to do it for me. This week has been an okay one food wise, but I haven't been walking. I have had to suffer rain, but we needed it so it is hard to be mad about it. I know I may have lost a tiny bit of weight, but probably not much. Will weigh myself tomorrow. I had a few too many drinks still. BUT I swear I am trying! It is hard right now. I want to go to the doctor and request some weight-loss drugs. I don't think my doctor will give me them, and I know it is a weak way out, but I want the help. So don't judge me! Thanks so much for the support lately. Even the few of you who still check to see if I am around, your words mean a lot to me.

Do you want what you can't have?

On the way home from work I saw a girl with the figure I want, but will never have. She was young; I think probably around 16 or 17. She was tall with lean legs and she was wearing a pair of trendy short shorts with a t-shirt. She also had amazingly perfect large breasts. I admittedly stared for a moment at her because she didn't have one single blemish. She is so beautiful. I couldn't stop myself from thinking about how I will never be that thin, I will probably never wear short shorts, and I definitely will never have those boobs. I wish I didn't look longingly at the things other people have and envy them, but I do. But I don't think I am the only one.

Tweaking

So I've done some tweaking to the code. I now think it looks better in Firefox than IE because IE is not recognising the best font. It is too late right now for me to concern myself with this. At least most of us can actually read it. Also I have to create a new weight chart that is compatible with this design. Thanks a lot for the input. Firefox users, is it better now?