Skip to main content

More solemn thoughts

It makes me so angry how long it has taken for relief to get to those who need it most in the city of New Orleans. I have to agree with the Mayor on this one. I spoke to my family last night and it was such a relief to get through to them. They are all safe, and although I haven't spoken to my best friends that are in MS, my mom confirmed that they are okay. She spoke to my friend and said they are doing fine, but she may not have any food and was only able to buy a small amount to feed her kids because the store had sold out of everything.

How can this be happening? She may not have any food? I'm sitting here in my selfish world wondering why I can't seem to push the scales down past 68 kilos when my best friends have probably gone days without a real meal to eat? Puts life in perspective.

It is so hard to communicate how sad I am. My mother started crying the moment she heard my voice on the phone. She is in Baton Rouge staying with one of her sisters. She cannot stay in her house because although it is still standing, all of the shingles were torn from the roof and the water damage is severe. The city she lives in is small and at the time I had spoken to her she did not know if relief in the form of food and water had arrived there yet. She went there even though my brother recommended she didn't, and he had to go back and rescue them because they had no access to gas to get back.

She sounded very stressed and very sad. She spoke a lot about the damage along the coastline. I'm seeing the pictures on the internet and on tv and although these places are so close to my heart I am not there seeing it live.

My brother worked for an oil refinery out of New Orleans and is now out of work, my father works for Ingalls shipyard out of Pascagoula MS and is out of work.

It is very hard for me to take all of this in.

My brother spoke a lot about the lawlessness and I could hear the desperation in his voice as he talked about coping with the influx of homeless in his city. People just have no where to go, and he is having a hard time dealing with my parents. He has his family to worry about as well as trying to help my mom and dad take care of themselves.

My sister works for a hospital and is staying in MS to keep working. I spoke to my niece who is ten and she is staying with my mom and dad. She sounded very sad but my mom said she is being very good and eating whatever they have (she is usually a very picky eater).

To be honest living on the gulf coast for most of my life should have prepared my family for an event like this, but it really hasn't. This is the hurricane we've feared our whole lives and when it happened I am living in Australia. Go figure.

Thanks a lot for all of your well wishes.

Comments

Shannin said…
I am so glad you were able to finally speak to your family. I cannot even imagine what they must be going through right now. I hope your father and brother are able to find something quickly and your parents are able to get back home soon.
Anonymous said…
I didn't realise you were from that part of USA. You poor thing, you must be so worried. I have been watching CNN on and off for days and it is just terribe... the hurricane and the lawlessness and the lack of help. I am shocked and sadenned by all that I have seen. I am so glad your family is OK.
Wenchy said…
So very sorry.... so very sad.
Anonymous said…
oh becca, i'm so very sorry for all that your family is going through. i will be thinking of them and you as well as all of the oter victims of this tragedy.
Anonymous said…
I'm sorry you're going through all of this, it must feel hopeless to be in another country with this happening to your family/friends. :(

I hope you've heard from your friends, as well as your family, and that they are okay.

I'm so angry at all levels of the government from the mayor on up to the white house. If this is how we respond to a storm--for which we have advance warning--, how is the white house going to respond to another terrorist attack?

Popular posts from this blog

Starting over

Hmm. Starting over is never easy. I'm on a new journey this time. I want to do this for different reasons. I want to do it for me. This week has been an okay one food wise, but I haven't been walking. I have had to suffer rain, but we needed it so it is hard to be mad about it. I know I may have lost a tiny bit of weight, but probably not much. Will weigh myself tomorrow. I had a few too many drinks still. BUT I swear I am trying! It is hard right now. I want to go to the doctor and request some weight-loss drugs. I don't think my doctor will give me them, and I know it is a weak way out, but I want the help. So don't judge me! Thanks so much for the support lately. Even the few of you who still check to see if I am around, your words mean a lot to me.

Do you want what you can't have?

On the way home from work I saw a girl with the figure I want, but will never have. She was young; I think probably around 16 or 17. She was tall with lean legs and she was wearing a pair of trendy short shorts with a t-shirt. She also had amazingly perfect large breasts. I admittedly stared for a moment at her because she didn't have one single blemish. She is so beautiful. I couldn't stop myself from thinking about how I will never be that thin, I will probably never wear short shorts, and I definitely will never have those boobs. I wish I didn't look longingly at the things other people have and envy them, but I do. But I don't think I am the only one.

Tweaking

So I've done some tweaking to the code. I now think it looks better in Firefox than IE because IE is not recognising the best font. It is too late right now for me to concern myself with this. At least most of us can actually read it. Also I have to create a new weight chart that is compatible with this design. Thanks a lot for the input. Firefox users, is it better now?