Skip to main content

Cannot believe how far I've come to be back where it started

I didn't have to read much of the last few entries to know where I left this thing.

A lot changed.

A lot did not.

I went back to drinking, I guess I wasn't desperate enough to stay stopped.  I hadn't experienced quite the amount of pain needed for me to make it a permanent change. I don't even remember the exact date I began drinking again, but I what I remember most is that I couldn't do it without a numbing agent.  I needed it desperately.

It took a long time of drinking again for me to see how it never helped anything.  It NEVER helped anything.

Today makes 71 days of sobriety this time around. It sounds like a long time, but in reality it isn't.

Tonight is my work's Christmas party.  I am going.  The plan is to not drink.  It is hard to believe that I am not going to drink on a night where everyone else will be, on a night when society says hey, it is okay, have a few wines to celebrate, you deserve it!  A night when the drinks are free.  Because is there anything really better to a person who likes to drink than FREE drinks??

Last year was the most fucked up year (pardon my French) of my life.

I lost not one, but both of my parents to lung related illnesses.  This was made even harder by living on the other side of the planet from my family, and having a new job for only a few months prior to their deaths.  I had to request special time-off to travel to the US.  The trip was booked before my mother passed away, I however didn’t make it to say goodbye.

I had been in a 4 year relationship that was long distance and didn't appear to be getting anywhere near not being long-distance and I just couldn't do it anymore and I made the decision to end the relationship.  This hurt.  This sucked.  I am still not over it.

2 days after I ended my long-term relationship I lost my job.

I was a casual employee for the government.  The department I worked in was not an easy job.  I had to speak to people who for whatever reason had been cut off of their income support.  I was called very choice names on a daily basis because getting them their money was beyond my control.

Advice from one of the top-level trainers and one of the people who make the most in the department was that I should, "Pretend to care."

Yeah, it was that good of a job.

I was told that at 6 months I wasn't where they wanted me to be.  They gave me one weeks’ notice. I cried.  I begged for her to change her mind.  I disagreed with her/them completely because I felt like I was doing okay for what had happened to me in my personal life.  I felt like they had 0 duty of care for me.  I felt like I could have left that day and committed suicide and they would not even blink.

I didn't kill myself, I am still here.  Instead based on advice given to me at the time by who I thought was my best friend in the whole world was that I should take some time off and travel.  So I did.

I bought a return ticket to London for a 3 month stint at travelling Europe.  I don't know what I was thinking, but I thought that visiting new places may help me heal.  I wanted to be anywhere but where I was.  I packed up all of my things where I was living and got rid of 2/3rds of everything I owned. I literally threw away a lot of shit!  Clothes I hadn't worn in over a year, gone.  I filled rubbish bins, I gave furniture etc to my land-lord to donate to the needy.  I paid my land-lord in advance storage prices for my things for the duration of the 3 months I was going to be away.  He told me he was thinking about selling the house but didn't have a date or anything.  I pretty much left not knowing what I had to return to.

I was offered by another friend that lived with me in the town house I was living in when I last left off writing to stay in her flat in London when I wasn't travelling about to other countries and cities during the 3 months.

I won't go into all the details but I spent a lot of money.  The place to stay in London didn't pan out due to her flat-mate not wanting me there-- so I ended up back-packing it.  Was it fun?  Sometimes.  I drank a lot.  I got really, really sick by doing bus tours with young people.  I tried to party like I was there age.  I am clearly not that young anymore.  I don't regret the trip, but it did not relieve my loneliness, my grief, or my desire to escape reality.

When I got back to South Australia my landlord pretty much said I had to remove my things and find somewhere else to live.

I didn't know what to do.  I had no job, no relationship, and nowhere to live.

I got more input/advice from who again I thought was my best friend.  She suggested I move to Melbourne as I'd have more job opportunities and a chance to start over.

I followed her advice.

I did not stop drinking.  But I wanted to.  I wanted to change so I started going to sound mediation, I saw a healer/psychic, and I took liquid crystals.  I was living in a house with a crazy OCD woman who I liked at first until her craziness became too much for me to deal with.

I had 12 interviews when I finally got my job.

I love my job.

It was worth waiting for.

The relationship with the woman I lived with was getting really un-doable.  It was out of hand crazy and where I lived was a bit far for me to travel to work on the train every single day.  Gumtree again saved my life and I now live in Port Melbourne, VIC.  This is only 10-15 minutes tram ride (Depending) from my office, less than a half hour to the inner CBD.  It is perfect.  I like the person I live with, from what I know of her.  We don’t really spend that much time together.  She has a boyfriend that I don’t particularly care for, but it is endurable.  When he stays over for the weekend it gives me more reason to get out of my house, which I have been doing. 

I started thinking that everything would be okay ONCE I found a job.  Then I started thinking that everything would be okay ONCE I moved.

I was wrong.

I only started to isolate more.  I started to just sit in my room and drink. Alone.

I wasn't making new friends except work colleagues.  I was missing my ex.  I was missing having a full social circle.  I was missing my best-friend who as soon as I moved decided to drop off the planet and become un-available.

I woke up one day and after googling how to kill yourself with the least amount of pain, I next googled rehabs (for alcohol dependence).  Thing is for about 2 weeks I tried to give up/reduce my alcohol in-take without any real, substantial results.  I went to a few AA meetings, while moderating.  I would drink less during the week and as soon as the weekend came and I didn't have to set an alarm and show up to work I would write myself off for the entire weekend.

On October 3rd, the Wednesday after the AFL Grand Final long weekend, instead of killing myself I checked myself into Rehab.  I had to admit that I couldn't stop without intervention that alcohol was not working to change any of my circumstances, in fact it was making me very ill.  I had pretty much stopped eating except maybe some yogurt, fruit, and occasionally beef jerky for dinner.  I was always tired.  I never wanted to do anything.  I coughed and threw up a lot of gross crap.  I was miserable. I raised my hands up to the sky and begged for help.

After talking to a Rehab that is based in Geelong I called my boss and told him what I was doing, what I had to do.  He was an unbelievably understanding guy.  He even asked for HR to give me leave in advance.  I could have made up any number of things to disappear for a month.  Some may have jeopardized my job.  Hell the truth may have jeopardized my job.  But I bit the bullet.  I told the truth.  Sometimes, just sometimes, the truth is the best policy.

So after talking to my boss, one of my new colleagues/friends from work, Sean (my ex), and being hung up on when I tried to ring who I thought was my best friend,  I finished the last bit of gin I had and waited for my ride that probably saved my life.

Since then I have been trying a number of things to incorporate into my life to keep me from drowning in a bottle.

I go to yoga.  I sometimes go 3 times a week.  I go every single Sunday morning at 9:15 without fail, and some nights I also go after work, because I’d go insane without it.

I sometimes go to AA meetings.  I went to a lot when I first got back from rehab and found most of them to be the opposite of helpful.  There are 2 that I go to now without fail.  I attend the Saturday morning women’s meeting which is very close to my house and very close to the beach in St. Kilda.  I also go to the Tuesday night mixed meeting that is in Carlton.  I sometimes do a Sunday afternoon meeting, but I am now also looking at going to free yoga classes that are a train ride away after work so I am okay with only committing to 2 meetings a week.

When it is sunny I slather myself in sunscreen and go lie on the beach.  I always take a book but I hardly ever read.  I mostly lie in the sun and try to be in the moment and enjoy the beach, because sometimes when I am at work I so wish I was on the beach.

I am in no way perfect and I am in no way above being back where I was if I don’t cultivate and allow my brain to make healthier, happier, better choices.

I wrote an email to Marie (she is the one I thought was my best friend) this week because I could not get the fact that she hung up on me out of my head.  How does one do that to someone they’ve been friends with for over 20 years?  How does she justify it?  I needed an answer.  I didn’t think the answer was going to be good or feel good.  I just needed an answer.

The answer was that she thought I took advantage of her.

I still cannot believe she said that.

I was so wrong about her.  I hate that I never saw her for what she is.  I am mad that it took this long for me to see the real her.


But I have lived through a lot of loss.  I will live through this too.

Comments

theaddict said…
I wonder if anyone still reads this, probably not lol.

Popular posts from this blog

All it takes is determination

I got my butt up this morning and did a 20-minute walk/jog, and it was still DARK outside. You proud of me?? Sure you are! I didn't do so well with my eating on the weekend, but this is not going to stand in my way. I know that in order to push through and lose more than what I've been averaging since Christmas (500-800 grams a week) I have got to stick to the Wendie Plan for the rest of this week and to my new lower points intake of 18 a day as well as exercise . I said the dreaded word, but it is true. I can do this. I have decided that there will be no excuses. I will apply to be this year's WW Slimmer of The Year. I can't let anything stand in my way. Thanks to all of you for getting behind me with this. Your support is so crucial because I am feeling high and on top of the world right now, but I know there will be days that I will feel like giving up the fight when I will start thinking it is just to hard and I know I will be going back and reading all your w

Do you want what you can't have?

On the way home from work I saw a girl with the figure I want, but will never have. She was young; I think probably around 16 or 17. She was tall with lean legs and she was wearing a pair of trendy short shorts with a t-shirt. She also had amazingly perfect large breasts. I admittedly stared for a moment at her because she didn't have one single blemish. She is so beautiful. I couldn't stop myself from thinking about how I will never be that thin, I will probably never wear short shorts, and I definitely will never have those boobs. I wish I didn't look longingly at the things other people have and envy them, but I do. But I don't think I am the only one.

Tweaking

So I've done some tweaking to the code. I now think it looks better in Firefox than IE because IE is not recognising the best font. It is too late right now for me to concern myself with this. At least most of us can actually read it. Also I have to create a new weight chart that is compatible with this design. Thanks a lot for the input. Firefox users, is it better now?